Frequently asked questions
General company information
- How many stores do you currently have?
- We currently have 356 stores.
Our main store formats are made up of the following models:
ASDA/Wal-Mart Super centres, ASDA Superstores, ASDA Living and George High Street stores
- How many colleagues do you employ?
- We currently employ around 160,000 colleagues in our stores and depots nationwide.
- Do you run a customer loyalty scheme?
- No. Instead we prefer to invest the money we’d use to set up such a scheme into driving down prices for our customers.
- Do you accept payment by cheques?
- To save you time at the checkouts we no longer accept personal cheques.
We do accept business cheques. Just register your company information at the service desk and the names of the employees who use your business account. Please note: your bank references will be checked.
- What is your stance on animal testing?
- ASDA is against animal testing and funds research into alternatives.
- Do your products contain any genetically modified ingredients?
- No. We’ve successfully removed genetically modified protein and protein derivatives from all our own brand products.
- Do you as a company support Fairtrade?
- ASDA is passionate about Fairtrade. We have a dedicated team who work closely with the Fairtrade organisation to promote its licensed products, ensuring we offer a comprehensive range in all our stores.
Find out more about how we support Fairtrade.
- Do you sell halal meat?
- Yes, we currently offer a range of fresh halal meat (lamb and chicken) and a frozen halal range in more than 80 stores nationwide in order to meet the demands of our Muslim customers. We also offer a halal range of sweets and baby food.
- How many stores do Wal-Mart have globally?
- Wal–Mart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide and has nearly 7,500 stores and wholesale clubs in 14 markets including Brazil, Canada, China, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Japan, Mexico, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico and The US.
- When did the first Wal-Mart store open?
- The first Wal-Mart store opened in 1962, in Rogers, Arkansas. In 1970 the Home Office and the first distribution centre were opened in Bentonville, Arkansas. 1983 saw the first Sam’s Club open. In 1988 Wal-Mart opened their first supercentre and in 1991 the first international store opened in Mexico.
- What was Wal-Mart’s annual turn over last year?
- Wal-Mart is the world’s largest retailer with $374.5 billion in sales for the fiscal year ending Jan. 31, 2008.
- Where can I find out more information about Wal-Mart?
- You can find more information on Wal-Mart by visiting the Wal-Mart website.